Restaurant Review – The Cellar

image

By, Brooke Herbes | Social Media Director

March 24th, 2016

A hidden gem of an eatery lies comfortably in southern San Clemente, renowned for its great experiences. Not known for flashiness, The Cellar is  a small restaurant with a cheese and coffee shop nestled inside. The kitchen only uses organic produce  grown by the restaurant itself on Cabrillo Avenue.
imageThe outside makes the restaurant appear to be a small cafe; however, a wine wall greets customers as they walk in, with a  another wall brimming with homemade condiments to the left.  These products debut in all the food, so anyone can mimic the restaurant’s recipes at home.
To the left is the Bear Coast Coffee as well as the cheese bar. Most days, a mix of locals and students lounge on stools, talking and listening to the live music. 

The music is mostly provided by  local bands or artists who establish a comforting and pleasing aura in the snug restaurant. Regardless of the day, there’s a new artist with a new style of music designed to please diners.

The famous Bear Coast Coffee company, is small now but an employee, who wished not to be named, says, “We are moving down near the pier. It will be a nice place to hang out and grab a coffee and snack after the beach.”

While a bit expensive, the food is appealing in its undisputed organic quality, fresh taste, and nearby origins.  An anonymous student at SCHS says “it is nice to know their garden is so close, it makes it worth it.” Moreover, the Cellar’s set up, while a bit cramped, doesn’t detract from one’s overall experience.

On Saturday mornings, The Cellar  is typically filled with students from various high schools. However, on Sunday atimage brunch time or week nights around 7:30, the restaurant is filled with locals listening to music and enjoying a fantastic meal. Most students, such as Julia Brandt, prefer going right after school or weekend mornings to grab a coffee before it gets too busy. She says, “I go to Bear Coast too much. I’m considered a regular now, they know my name and my order and have it ready by the time I get to the front of the line.” For those who crave a warm atmosphere and scrumptious, healthy food, The Cellar is worth a visit.

The suggested dishes are the Breakfast/ Brunch: Cappuccino ($3.50 @ Bear Coast), Avocado Toast w/ the works ($6) Lunch: Burger w/ the works ($15) Dinner: Burrata ($15), Kale Caesar ($11) Dessert: Cellar Cookie Skillet ($8)

About Brooke Herbes 18 Articles
hi I'm brooke. I play golf, soccer and hangi out with friends. I am a Junior in newspaper, I decided to join this class cause its fun, helps spark an interest in writing and why not? This is my second year in this class and its going to be a pretty great year. enjoy :)