Trojans vs. Tritons: two communities, two victories

SCHS STUDENTS cheer on the Tritons as they move to a 30-23 victory over Oak Ridge. (Finn Thomas)

Carson Neuhausen |Writer & Megan Lander |Writer

September 6, 2024

Each year, football season becomes chaotic, from unexpected last-minute game-winning touchdowns to interceptions that can shape a team’s season. This is what draws people to the game; a thrilling and intense experience for both the players and the fans. Whether you are standing in the student section at a high school football game or sitting in a stadium with 70,000 other passionate fans, football draws people together. This year’s first college football weekend ended with USC and LSU fighting in a top-25 battle.

The 30th of August marked the kick-off of the Triton’s FNL season. Triton’s 30-23 victory was marked by an 

KYRON HUDSON leaps up to catch the ball on a vital play in the start of the second quarter. (LA Times)

impressive performance by Quarterback, Dawson Martinez (Sr). Martinez drove the team with his impressive 4 touchdowns and 293 yards. Sophomore wide receiver Jaxson Rex leads the team in receiving yards (162) and yards per game (81). 

The neon-themed student section, a chaotic mess of bright green, orange, and pink, cheered out of school spirit for the Tritons. Junior Tyler McCants, a starter on special teams, exclaimed with child-like excitement that the game had a “great atmosphere, great energy, and was an all-around great game.” Everyone in attendance and students shared his sentiments, as they all enjoyed the game. Junior Elizbeth G. Martin’s opinion is concurrent with Tyler’s remark, “I don’t really know what happened but it was fun!” 

Later that weekend, USC bested LSU in a tight 30-23 win. The game was won by Woody Marks, an experienced running back, via a last-second touchdown. Quarterback Miller Moss strategically controlled the game and guided his team to triumph by completing 27 of 36 total passes and throwing for just under 400 yards and one touchdown. In comparison, LSU Quarterback Garrett Nussmeier underperformed. Although 29 of 38 passes were completed, Mussmeier threw for just over 300 yards and had one interception. 

These two games represent victories for not only the Tritons and Trojans but for the communities that surround them. The triumphs of the individual players will be forgotten, but the success of the teams never will.