A girl’s college shopping list: how to be both trendy and prepared

PREPARE FOR COLLEGE and start looking for essentials every college girl needs. (Medium)

Sienna MillerHead Editor

September 13, 2024

College is finally almost here! Because of this, juniors are frantically studying and seniors are rushing to get their college applications in. However, recently, must-need college essentials have been going viral on TikTok with the new students moving in and the class of 2025 getting anxious about what to bring to school. 

“I want to join a sorority but I have no idea what to bring to fit into college culture,” discloses Senior Cora Gehret. “So far, I have just been following top sororities on Instagram and TikTok and looking at what they are wearing to reference what I should buy for the next school year.”

In addition, during this school year, many seniors realize that they have money right now that they might not have in college because of their jobs. Even for those that do get a job in college the first year, if you are applying to out-of-state schools, they most likely will have a lower minimum wage as California’s is extremely high. Therefore it is financially reasonable to start looking for college items now.

To jumpstart your shopping cart, here is a list of crucial basics for college:

The Essential MacBook

In today’s digital age, a reliable laptop is crucial for academic success. The MacBook, with its sleek design and powerful performance, is a favorite among students for good reason. It offers great educational software, excellent battery life, and a lightweight build that’s perfect for taking to classes and study sessions. Investing in a MacBook ensures you’re equipped to handle research papers, presentations, and group projects with ease. Not to mention, they come in so many new colors as of 2023, such as pink, gold, blue, purple, etc.

“I just visited San Diego State and every single person there had a Macbook to use,” states senior Elora Aguliar. “I love that campus it’s beautiful. Not to mention, everyone seems so stylish there. Sambas and jorts are everywhere.”

LONGCHAMP BAG: the most popular bag this school year! (r/handbags)

The Iconic Longchamp Bag

No college outfit is complete without the viral Longchamp tote. This stylish and durable bag is not just a fashion statement but a practical choice for students. Its spacious interior accommodates textbooks, notebooks, and even a laptop, while its water-resistant material keeps your belongings safe. Available in a variety of colors and sizes, the Longchamp bag is the perfect blend of functionality and fashion.

Cozy Uggs for Campus Comfort 

When the weather turns chilly and the leaves turn brown, Ugg boots are the go-to footwear for cozy warmth and comfort. These classic boots are not only trendy but also provide excellent insulation, making them perfect for walking across campus or lounging in your dorm. Available in a variety of styles and colors, Uggs can be dressed up or down to fit any casual look.

Shower Shoes and Basket

While it might not be the most exciting item on your list, shower shoes are a college must-have. They protect your feet from germs in communal showers and are easy to clean. Pair them with a practical yet stylish shower basket to keep all your toiletries organized. Look for a basket with compartments to separate your shampoo, conditioner, and other essentials.

A Stylish Backpack

While the Longchamp bag is a top pick for many, having a stylish yet practical backpack is essential for carrying your daily necessities. Choose a design that features padded compartments for your laptop, adjustable straps for comfort, and additional pockets for organization. 

“Jansport or Northface backpacks were most popular at my college,” says 2023 graduate Luka Horspool. “Keeping all your stuff together can be extremely difficult. In high school, all I brought was a mini purse and a binder. You need a LOT more space in college to keep organized.”

With the increasing influence of social media and the realities of budgeting, students are now more than ever looking for guidance on what to bring to make their new lives easier. Remember, while these essentials are a great starting point, personal preferences, and individual needs will always play a key role in shaping your college experience. Overall, let your preparations reflect both your practical needs based on the location of your college and your personal style.