Why choose the IB Diploma program?

THEORY OF KNOWLEDGE is a highlight for many. Sofia Sipelis

Sofia Sipelis | Opinion Editor 

February 4, 2022 

San Clemente High School has a reputation for its rigorous academics, which means us Tritons are known for academic excellence and competition. As students search for ways to distinguish themselves from a sea of incredibly talented, dedicated, and intelligent students at the school of over 3,000, a variety of opportunities present themselves.

Will you take on varsity athletics, join ASB, immerse yourself in clubs, be the president of NHS, do the Spanish immersion program, or join the IB program? The opportunities are nearly endless as the list goes on. 

At the end of sophomore year, students are given the opportunity to join the IB Diploma program, a globally-minded, highly intensive program requiring students to completely immerse themselves into the world of the International Baccalaureate. In short, the IB Diploma program requires students to take a variety of high-level courses throughout their two-year involvement in the program. To receive the diploma, candidates must take six IB tests from six different subjects, engage in the CAS (Creativity, Activity, and Service) component, take the Theory of Knowledge (TOK) class for two years, write their extended essay, compose their TOK exhibition, and create a CAS project. Sound overwhelming?

The IB program is not for the faint of heart; it requires determination, dedication, and a strong will. The program is catered towards students with ambition and desire to learn as it teaches students how to think outside of the standardized education box. The program is found around the world in IB Global Schools and teaches students how to “inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.”

STUDENTS LOG CAS experiences through a website called ManageBAC. Sofia Sipelis

As a student enrolled in the IB program, I hold a unique perspective. I spent four years living in Singapore attending United World College, a K-12 IB world school. To me, joining the IB program meant more than immersing myself in a rigorous program. It meant finishing what I started. 

The IB program gets a bad rap from many. People claim that “it’s too much work for no benefit” and “it is a waste of time when you could just take AP classes.” Although I am biased, and I must admit to sometimes complaining about the stress and anxiety that comes with IB, I don’t believe those statements are true. 

“The IB program encourages engagement with the community as well as well-roundedness,” junior Emily Andersen stated. “It promotes leadership, creativity, communication, and overall good character.”

The IB program has taught me to think of the world through a broader lens, it has encouraged me to be a self-starter, and it has taught me to be passionate about my education. It is difficult, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I can feel proud about the skills and knowledge I have gained and continue to gain as I go through the program. I can feel proud of the people I have met. And I can feel proud of the life skills I will gain through my involvement in this intensive program. The program creates students who are devoted to learning, seeing the world through a wide lens, and are critical thinkers.

The value of the program is immeasurable. 

“I much prefer the structure of IB classes to traditional AP classes,” junior Mary McGraw explains. “I also admire the global application of the diploma.” 

IB classes have a unique structure as they focus on open-ended learning as opposed to working straight from the book. Some trademarks of an IB class are: open-ended discussions, creating your own science lab, and conducting your own research project. 

The IB program is not for everyone, but if you have a passion for learning, growing, and becoming the best version of yourself, joining the IB program is a choice you may want to make to better your education and yourself.