Getting to know Dr. Sherine Smith and her future plans

Orange County Board of Education Emblem. (Voice of OC)

Blake McAlpin | Student Life Editor

December 18, 2o23

Born and raised in California, Dr. Sherine Smith has served as a prolific educator for decades. Dr. Smith attended Chico State for her bachelor’s and Pepperdine University for her master’s in education. In 2014, Dr. Smith attended the University of Southern California for her doctorate in education. As a longtime Orange County resident, Dr. Smith has pushed to make the change for the public education system.

Serving as a teacher, principal, and superintendent, her career in education is unmatched and filled with accomplishments. Additionally, Dr. Smith received the award for best superintendent in Orange County. After Sherine retired from public education in 2016, she has since been working to improve schools as a citizen. In 2022, she ran for the Orange County Board of Education in District 5. With an unfortunate loss to candidate Lisa Sparks, she knew her journey didn’t end there.

Dr. Smith has now announced her candidacy to represent District 3 of the Capistrano Unified School District. I asked her to describe her goal for the year and just a few sentences. She stated, “We need to make students and learning our top priority in Capistrano Unified School District. My goals are to ensure inclusive, safe, and supportive campuses for our students, high academic standards, effective instructional programs, and a rich array of STEM, arts, music, and athletic programs.”

Dr. Sherine Smith. (Voters Edge California)

With hectic controversy surrounding school boards all across the state, the issue has become one noticed by students. I asked senior Ava Striley for her input on how she thinks an ideal school board member would act, and she responded by saying, “I just don’t think being on the school board is a political position. Like it’s a nonpartisan appointment and their job is to improve students’ lives so that’s exactly what they should do.” She followed with, “Even though I am graduating I am scared of what could happen to my younger friends if the school board continues to push policies that could hurt their identity.”

Ava’s opinions are valid and a common feeling amongst many students. With the graduating class of 2024 feeling the effects of what a school board can do, many of us are taking it into our own hands to vote in this upcoming year.

As election year approaches, regardless of opinions or political views, I encourage everyone eligible to vote. It is important that you make your voice heard and do your part in supporting the future of your community.