CSU strike started and over in 1 day

CSU: strike as staff members fight for fair pay and better working conditions. (Press-Telegram)

Sienna Taus | Student Life Editor

January 25, 2024

The first day back from winter break, Monday (1/22), was the first and last day of the strike organized by the California State University (CSU) workforce. The main goal of the strike was better pay for the workforce, more mental health counselors for students, semester-long paid parental leave, and other concessions. 

CSU Chancellor Mildred García came out with a statement regarding the strike ending: “The agreement enables the CSU to fairly compensate its valued, world-class faculty while protecting the university system’s long-term financial sustainability. With the agreement in place, I look forward to advancing our student-centered work as the nation’s greatest driver of social mobility and the pipeline fueling California’s diverse and educated workforce.” 

The CSU is known for producing high-quality education for reasonable prices. The CSU system serves more than 460,000 students and of those, 81% of students receive financial aid. Also, 61% of undergraduate students have their

SCHOOL STOPPED: The first day back and students had all their classes canceled. (New York Times)

whole tuition covered. SCHS teacher Mr. Salway commented, “We like the idea of higher wages but we also want lower costs for schools so there is a disconnect.” Although, ironically, the CSU is planning on raising tuition costs shortly by 6% starting in the fall of 2024.

“These schools are known to students as affordable while still getting a decent education. If they continue to raise tuition every year, it creates fewer and fewer options for people who cannot afford expensive schools,” commented senior Luke Adams.

There was an agreement between the California Faculty Association (CFA) and management that was met. This agreement ensures a 5% raise for all staff members which will start on July 1, 2023, and promises another 5% increase on July 1, 2024. 

About SiennaTavs 22 Articles
Sienna Taus is a 17 old writer for the Triton Times and is starting her senior year. She is excited to continue to write for the Newspaper interviewing her peers. You might spot her at Alohanana eating an acia bowl or drinking an iced matcha while working at Starbucks.