Top 5 romantic movies for Valentine’s Day

FALL FOR ROMANCE: Movies to feel the love on Valentine’s. (IMB)

Kayla Jones | Writer

February 8, 2023

How to Lose a Guy in 10 DaysThis movie stars Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. Hudson is a journalist featuring a new segment on “how to lose a guy in 10 days.” Matthew McConaughey plays a sports writer looking to cover the diamond industry, trying to win a girl for a bet. The movie is both romantic and funny with a good dose of secondhand embarrassment. Both characters torture each other to their maximum extent, yet slowly realize the love they feel for one another. Need a movie to laugh and cry to? This is the one. 

“This is my favorite movie!” said senior Sophia Arra. “I watch it when I’m sad or happy. it always makes me feel good. Definitely go watch it for Valentine’s Day. It’s the best movie out there.” 

My Best Friends Wedding: Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney are best friends with plans to wed if they are both still single by 28. The day before Mulroney’s character decides to get married, however, Roberts’ Julianne is invited to his wedding as his best friend. Though Julianne has been in love with him this entire time, the story is filled with dramatic irony as the watch is her pining for her soon-to-be-married best friend. A heartfelt movie that will also bring some tears to your eyes. This movie depicts the struggle of love and longing for another. 

Pretty Woman: Pretty Woman is another iconic Julia Roberts film from 1990, starring her and Richard Gere. Roberts is Vivian; a prostitute who is working to live a sustainable life. She meets a businessman, Edward, who’s never had a break in his life. Vivian’s one rule is that she will not kiss anyone on the lips because it’s too intimate. After meeting Edward, however, Roberts falls into a new life of upper-class associates and rude boutique employees. The movie is a rollercoaster of falling in love with a woman who has set her heart aside. Filled with anticipation and romantic tension, it’s an iconic movie for those who want to feel the love.

“Pretty Woman is such a good movie,” said junior Presley Persson. “It’s my mom’s favorite and she always makes me watch it with her. It has Julia Roberts in it so I don’t complain. I would recommend it.”

WATCH IT TEN TIMES OVER: 10 Things I Hate About You. (The Guardian)

10 Things I Hate About You: A modern adaptation of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew. This movie is iconic for teenagers, as a comedy featuring life and love in high school through two main characters—sisters played by Julia Stiles and Larisa Oleynik. Stiles, the shrew, does not want to date anyone, as a feminist to her core. Oleynik the younger sister is trying to make her way through high school and wants to date. A transfer student is determined to be able to take out the younger sister through her father‘s rule she will not be able to date until her older sister does. This leads to bets, betrayals, and fights. This movie is outstandingly hilarious as one of the most romantic high school movies out there, and my personal favorite.

The Notebook: The Notebook is an outstanding romance, featuring Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling. This heartbreaker features a series of flashbacks from an elderly couple recounting their story. With Allie’s Alzheimer’s, her husband Noah tells her the story of their on-and-off love in a small town in the 1940s. Allie, having grown up in a higher-class household, meets and falls a downtown boy, Ryan Gosling. They fall in love, despite her parents forbidding the relationship and turning her down another path of wealth. After she leaves town, Noah sends her 365 letters, one for every single day (which she never receives). Allie’s parents refuse to tell her the secret of these letters, leading her to ultimately fall in love with another guy. As cliché as it is, it is a heartwarming, heartbreaking, beautiful romantic movie.