The next Tyreek Hill: meet Xavier Worthy

WORTHY BREAKS THE NFL COMBINE RECORD: Longhorn WR runs a 4.21 40-yard dash. (NFL)

David Rudnicki | Sports Editor

March 12, 2024

In the world of sports, some athletes stand out for their exceptional abilities, and then there’s Xavier Worthy. This young wide receiver from the University of Texas at Austin has been making waves in the football world, and his recent performance at the NFL Combine has solidified his status as a top prospect in the upcoming draft.

Worthy’s journey to NFL stardom began long before his record-breaking 40-yard dash time of 4.21 seconds, which surpassed the previous record set by John Ross by a mere 0.01 seconds. Born and raised in Fresno, California, Worthy’s exceptional speed was evident from a young age. As a sophomore at Central East High School, he stunned onlookers with a blistering 100-meter time of 10.55 seconds, showcasing his natural athletic prowess. A SCHS senior football player committed to playing at USD praised Worthy for his “insane capabilities to graduate a year early and play for such a prestigious program.”

LOCAL PHENOMENON LEAVES A YEAR EARLY FOR COLLEGE BALL: Worthy heads to UT Austin instead of Senior Year at Central HS. (SI High School)

Worthy continued to impress throughout his high school career, accumulating shocking stats despite limited playing time. In 30 games between his sophomore and junior years, he tallied 34 receptions for 1,251 receiving yards and 19 touchdowns, demonstrating his potential as a playmaker on the gridiron. However, with his insane talent, he graduated as a junior and began college ball a year early.

However, it was during his time at UT Austin that Worthy truly began to shine. Despite his team’s heartbreaking defeat in a nail-biter against the University of Washington in the college football playoffs, Worthy’s performance throughout the season was nothing short of spectacular. With 1,014 receiving yards, 75 receptions, and five touchdowns, he played a pivotal role in carrying his team to the brink of victory.

But it’s not just Worthy’s impressive stats that have caught the attention of NFL scouts and coaches. His speed, agility, and route-running prowess make him a perfect fit for teams looking to bolster their aerial attack. Franchises like the Kansas City Chiefs have already shown keen interest in Worthy, conducting private workouts to assess his potential impact on the field.

Looking ahead to the 2024 NFL Draft, Worthy is poised to be one of the top broad receiver prospects in a class filled with future superstars. While he may trail behind players like Marvin Harrison Jr. from The Ohio State University and Rome Odunze from the University of Washington regarding the projected draft position, I firmly believe Worthy’s unique skill set sets him apart from the competition. College Football Fanatic senior Brayden Fox revealed that Worthy could “emerge as the best receiver in the 2024 NFL draft class.”

TOUCHDOWN WORTHY: Another stellar performance by the Longhorn star. (NBC Sports)

Despite comparisons to former NFL speedster John Ross, Worthy’s ceiling is sky-high, reminiscent of players like Tyreek Hill. While he may be considered a boom-or-bust candidate, I’m confident that Worthy’s talent and work ethic will translate into a significant boom at the professional level.

As a fan, I can’t help but hope that my favorite NFL team recognizes the potential of Xavier Worthy and selects him in the upcoming draft. And for fantasy football enthusiasts, mark my words: Worthy is destined to be a superstar, so don’t hesitate to draft him next season. Xavier Worthy is primed to take the NFL by storm with his unmatched speed and playmaking ability.

1 Comment on The next Tyreek Hill: meet Xavier Worthy