Real students, fake government: SCHS representatives at Boys and Girls State

KYLIE MARCISZ with Boys and Girls State cohorts. (Kylie Marcisz)

Audrey Folia | Head Editor

Each year, schools around California send their best and brightest post-junior-year students to a program known as Boys and Girls State. Described as an immersive experience, students travel to Cal State Sacramento for one week where they create their own mock-government. Though historically schools only send one or two students, this year San Clemente shined by having four representatives attend in addition to one delegate at Girls State; a similar program that occurs the week after but is considered more selective. 

Still, both programs are difficult to be admitted to and, although many high school students may be desperate to apply, there is not actually an application process. Instead, high school faculty act as recruiters, carefully selecting students who have mastered their junior year and show immense promise. Even then, students must interview with The American Legion for their spot, leaving only about 1,500 students state-wide to be admitted to the program.

GRACE PRATT as 2024 American Legion Auxiliary Girls State delegate. (@wearesctritons)

Boys and Girls State prides itself on being different from what one might find in a classroom. Instead of the typical learning done at desks, they create a faux reality in which the students form their own government: creating laws, holding elections, and ultimately replicating a democracy. The idea is that through the reenactment students can learn about their civic duties, the intricacies of government, and what it takes to be a leader, shaping them into a group of informed citizens.  

However, with students making laws, it’s bound to be a little unconventional. As Senior Kylie Marcisz recounts, they “had to hopscotch through the city.” Outside of what she learned about the government, Marcisz describes the amazing friendships she made along the way, with her dormmate even coming to visit her after the week ended despite the distance between them. 

Girls State is similar in concept but varies due to it being a different faction of the American Legion. It is also more selective with a limit of one girl per school, and therefore includes approximately 450 girls in comparison to 1,500 students of Boys and Girls State. It is described as a more intense program, with laws that relate more to the real-world ones currently being passed. 

This year, Senior Grace Pratt represented San Clemente as the 2024 American Legion Auxiliary Girls State Delegate the week following Girls and Boys State. She narrates the more thorough election of city, county, and state officials and describes the process of her elected role in the assembly as “putting forth bills from girls in her city and debating them.” Despite the additional layer of seriousness within the program, she draws similarities between Kylie’s account of Boys and Girls State, feeling like she became very close with the like-minded people in attendance. 

Both programs leave students as informed citizens, and San Clemente High School is proud of the five students in attendance and their accurate representation of the dedication, hard work, and perseverance it takes to be a Triton.