How to ace the October SAT

THE OCTOBER SAT dates are quickly approaching, making these next few weeks the last opportunity to prepare. (WSBT)

Carly Altman | Head Editor

September 26, 2024

With standardized testing weaving its way back into the realm of college applications, the SAT dates this next month are extremely prevalent for high school students, with seniors in particular. This October, the SAT is being held nationwide on Saturday, October 5th, as well as at San Clemente High School on Thursday, October 24th. These are some of the last SAT dates available before college application deadlines for seniors, making them of the utmost importance. 

The SAT is a unique, digital standardized test, evaluating students’ skills in 2 sections: Reading and Writing, and Math. Testing expertise across a wide breadth of subjects, the SAT generally requires extensive studying and review in order to perform well. However, outside of private tutoring, which although useful is often expensive and time-consuming, many students are simply unaware of how to effectively study for the test. Luckily, there are several resources and study methods that are certain to sufficiently prepare you for the SAT, guiding you along the path to reaching your dream score.

Bluebook Practice Tests

Provided by the College Board itself, the full-length SAT practice tests on Bluebook are the quintessential study tool for the SAT. Simulating an actual exam, the Bluebook practice tests not only allow you to practice content similar to that you will see on the SAT but also provide you with instant scoring and feedback. “Practice tests were by far the most effective way for me to study for the SAT,” explained senior Isabella Noble. “They helped me understand the format of the test and get familiar with the type of questions I would see on test day.” Overall, Bluebook’s practice tests are an incredibly beneficial, free tool that you should take advantage of. With 6 different tests to choose from, there are several opportunities to practice and refine your skills prior to your test date. 

Desmos Review

With the College Board’s switch to a digital format for the SAT, the new test now offers a built-in Desmos graphing calculator. If you are unfamiliar with Desmos, now is the time to acquaint yourself with everything it has to offer. Questions regarding systems of equations, inequalities, number of solutions, and regressions can all be easily solved through Desmos. Understanding how to effectively utilize the graphing calculator will allow you to solve several types of problems far more efficiently, granting you the ability to allot more time for difficult questions that you must solve by hand. If you do not have experience with the platform, consider watching online tutorials regarding how to best make use of the calculator specifically for the SAT.

Grammar Practice

UNDERSTANDING GRAMMAR RULES is crucial to maximizing your Reading and Writing score on the SAT. (Quad Education)

While learning the vast expanse of grammar rules may feel tedious and somewhat disinteresting, the Standard English Conventions portion of the SAT Reading and Writing section is one of the best places to increase your score. While the Information and Ideas and Expression of Ideas subsections tend to rely more heavily on the passages you are given, the Standard English Conventions subsection relies solely on your understanding of grammar rules. By familiarizing yourself with the rules regarding punctuation, subject-verb agreement, verb tense, and parallel structure, you can significantly improve your Reading and Writing score. Standard English Conventions take up approximately 25% of the Reading and Writing section, meaning this subsection makes up a hefty 1/4 of your score. 

Review Videos

The internet provides a plethora of free resources regarding SAT review. There are endless videos going over nearly every concept that the SAT covers, ranging from Math topics such as geometry to Reading and Writing focuses like comprehension or interpreting information. “Videos were extremely helpful during my SAT studying,” explained senior Madelyn Mitchell. “They allowed me to focus my attention on topics I wasn’t getting and learn through detailed explanation and review.” By targeting areas you are struggling with, you can improve your understanding and review concepts you are unfamiliar with. In addition, there are videos going over the Bluebook practice tests in-depth, allowing you to deeply understand why you missed certain questions and how to correct them. These videos are crucial to reinforcing your learning and strengthening your comprehension. 

Overall, the SAT is a test that anyone is capable of succeeding on. However, you must be dedicated and willing to put the work in to achieve the score you are hoping for. With sufficient practice, review, and hard work, your dream score is within reach.