A Washington Wipeout: Boise State victory 45-24

BOISE STATE famous blue field. (Bronco Nation News)

Ella Kittler | Writer

October 3, 2024

The Boise State Broncos handed the Washington Cougars their first loss of the season in an electrifying matchup with a final score of 45-24. This intense game attracted a record crowd of 37,663, making it the largest in Boise State history. Brooke Sevilla, a freshman at San Clemente High School exclaimed, “It was the best Boise game I’ve ever been to!”

Game day festivities started as early as 5 pm with thousands gathering for the iconic “Bronco Walk,” from the Student Union to the famous blue field, accompanied by the school’s marching band. The celebrations continued with fans decked out in orange and blue, tailgating and pregaming across the campus. At 8 PM, after hours of celebrating, it was finally time for kickoff. After Blitz, Bosie State’s very own Golden Retriever retrieved the tee and the game officially began.

The Broncos came out strong with junior running back Ashton Jeanty leading the offense. Just four plays into the game, Jeanty showcased his remarkable talent with an impressive 64-yard touchdown run. His performance was incredible, as he recorded his fourth 200-yard game, tying the school record. Leading the country in rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, total touchdowns, and points scored, Jeanty is making national headlines. NFL enthusiast and freshman David Kittler states, “Ashton is my favorite college player…I can’t wait to see where he gets drafted.”

ASHTON JEANTY hurdling over Washington’s defense. (AP News)

Despite facing a future NFL prospect, the Cougars fought back with a 14-yard touchdown pass to tight end Cooper Mathers. However, Jeanty quickly responded in the second quarter with a 14-yard touchdown, giving the Broncos a 17-10 lead at halftime.

The intensity continued into the third quarter, with Boise quarterback Maddux Madsen throwing a 22-yard touchdown to tight end Matt Lauter extending the Broncos’ lead to 24-10. The Cougars quickly answered with a touchdown, but Jeanty was relentless, breaking through the defense for a 59-yard touchdown and further solidifying Boise State’s dominance. The Broncos ended up on top with a final score of 45-24.

As the Broncos aim for a spot in the playoffs, the Cougars plan to use their upcoming bye week to improve their defense. Boise State will face Utah State next Saturday, October 5. Washington State will prepare for a matchup against Fresno State on October 12.