Advice for Future Tritons

Caps thrown into the air to celebrate high school graduation. Photo: The Spruce

By: Zoe Day | News Editor

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

High school can be whatever adjective you choose to put in front of it exciting, confusing, stressful, wonderful, and maybe all at once. You’ll make friends who will become like family, be exposed to new ideas and perspectives, and grow both as a student and as a person. As I prepare to say goodbye to San Clemente and move to the bottom of the totem pole as a freshman in college, I’ve compiled a list of five suggestions for high school students.

Don’t be afraid to say hi first. San Clemente High School is huge, and there are so many people you have yet to meet. No matter how great your current friends are, don’t be afraid to branch out and meet new people. It can be intimidating to initiate conversation or introduce yourself to a stranger, but simply smiling or saying “hi” in the hallway can go a long way. You never know who could become your best friend.

Be respectful. High school is a learning experience, and a lot of that has to do with learning how to interact with others. Be respectful to your teachers, and they will be respectful to you. Be open-minded. Ask questions. Be curious. Listen before you speak. Be kind and stay conscious of what’s going on around you.

Try something new. San Clemente High School has a niche for everyone, but it’s your job to find yours. Join a club, pick up a new hobby, or take a class that seems interesting. Join a sports team or pick up an instrument. If you can’t find a club that fits your interests, make one! Try sitting in the front of the class. Engage in conversations with your teachers. High school is a transformative time. It’s never too late to pursue an interest or get out of your comfort zone. Anything can happen.

Keep things in perspective. High school is full of ups and downs. There will be days you’ll feel on top of the world and days when it feels like the world is coming down on your shoulders. Don’t stress too much. Don’t procrastinate. In the words of senior Marissa Buenrostro, “Time management is key!” Take care of your physical and mental health. For better or for worse, high school doesn’t last forever. Even if it doesn’t make sense in the moment, everything always works out the way it’s supposed to. Don’t waste your time on things that won’t matter in the long run.

Embrace change. You won’t be the same person on the day that you graduate as you were on the first day of your freshman year. Senior Ashley Echelberger shared, “The changes that occur in high school are both scary and exciting.” Your friends will change, your opinions will shift, and your dreams will be reshaped. Some of the changes are gradual, and others come when you least expect it. Change is inevitable, and that’s a wonderful thing.

2 Comments on Advice for Future Tritons

1. This article is very informative and allows the future Tritons to know what to expect. It helps one person know how to make it through the scary place called high school.

2. To all the future Tritons, high school isn’t as bad as everyone says it is. As long as you come in thinking that all you should do is make new friends, and be respectful then it will all be fine.