Texas Scrubs Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from History

By: Abigail Calandra | Writer

The Texas State Board of Education has voted to remove historical figures and events deemed to be unnecessary in a student’s education. Among the people dropped were Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller.

Texas teachers and board members fear that there are too many topics to cover in a short period of time, preventing them from diving deeper into their topics. The board estimates they can save around 40 minutes of a third-grader’s time by removing a lesson on how government services are paid for; however, it will remain mandatory to learn about the ongoing conflict due to Arab rejection of the State of Israel. Fourth-graders will save 30 minutes of mandatory learning by removing a lesson regarding public officials keeping promises because it is determined not to be age appropriate.

Based on suggestions by volunteer work groups, the board scored historical figures on a point system, considering their diverse perspectives, roles in major turning point in history and how they impacted underrepresented groups.

Helen Keller was a blind activist and author.

Hillary Clinton, the first female presidential nominee of a main political party and former first lady, Secretary of State and Senator from New York scored a five, and Helen Keller; a blind and deaf symbol of the disabled community, who worked as an activist and author scored a seven. The board has reported that removing Clinton from the curriculum will save 30 minutes and removing Keller will save 40 minutes of learning. Others voted to be removed include Eleanor Roosevelt, Barry Goldwater, and Thomas Hobbes. These historical figures were studied prior to the vote, “whether they are of the past or currently impacting our nation,” junior Sydney Belden said. “It is critical for students to learn about how their influences and how they have shaped American thought.” Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Abraham Lincoln were shy of perfect scores; those who received perfect score were among those of local Texas legislature and first-responders.

The final vote will be held in November, but, “regardless of personal opinions, leaders in education have a responsibility to inform students” junior Sydney Hanning said. “In withholding any information students are being robbed.”

Nonetheless, these historical figures will remain in textbooks and continue to provide positive role models for today’s children. Hopefully, teachers will take it upon themselves to continue emphasizing the impact of these inspiring leaders.