Purdue University student fatally stabbed by roommate

MURDER AT PURDUE: Varun Manish Chheda (main photo) and Ji Min Sha (smaller photo). Varun Chheda Obituary and Tippecanoe County Jail

Gaby Peña | Writer

October 13, 2022

College is supposed to be a place where students work hard and have fun to lay the base for a successful future. However, this future was stripped away from Varun Manish Chheda. 

On October 5, 2022, Varun Manish Chheda was fatally stabbed in his own dorm. Chheda was a 20 year old senior studying data science at Purdue University, which is located in West Lafayette, Indiana. He was killed by his roommate, Ji Min Sha; a 22-year-old junior at the University studying cybersecurity. 

Chheda was allegedly playing video games with his friends at the time of the murder. His friends reported that they heard screaming over the monitor, but were unsure of what was going on. At around 12:45 am, the police received a call from Sha, the roommate, informing them of the murder. “What disturbs me the most is how the killer himself was the one who made the 911 call” Senior Emma Fann reflected. When the police arrived at the scene, they were confronted with Chheda’s lifeless body in a chair, a bloody knife on the floor, and Sha covered in blood. Sha was immediately taken into police custody.

GUILTY: Killer escorted by police after confessing to the murder, Fox 59

Sha’s motives for the murder are unclear. When he was initially questioned about his motives by a reporter, his response was only “I love my family,” entirely disregarding the question. Two days later, on October 7th, Sha stated that he was “very sorry,” claiming that he was blackmailed into killing him, but he did not specify any further. “I honestly don’t think he had any remorse for what he did. He’s probably just making stuff up to make himself look better” Senior Corinne Farahmandi stated. Sha has yet to give clear answers on why he committed this tragic crime. He is currently facing a murder charge. 

The president of Purdue released a statement where he emphasized the importance of student safety on campus and provided students with resources for counseling and support. While President Daniels stated that Purdue is generally a very safe space for students, there is no doubt that this murder has many students and staff on edge. 

Varun Manish Chheda was a bright student who will be remembered through his academic accomplishments and good heart. His friends note that he had always been very selfless and was always willing to help others. He was loved and appreciated by those around him. He did not deserve to get his life taken away, and we hope he and his family receive the justice they deserve.