Need Some Advice?

February 3, 2016

Every new year brings along new drama. There’s no need to fret, though, because I have solutions that will take all of your worries away. For some people, especially juniors and sophomores, second semester can be scary, intimidating, and hard to not get stressed out. This advice column is for anyone who needs some guidance pushing through the struggles that academics pose and navigating through other high school stressers that over-complicate various aspects of life. I hope every student here at San Clemente High School can apply my advice in some way, whether now or in the future.

Dear Anonymous,

I failed my first semester finals and I am not too optimistic about this semester. So far my motivation to do my homework has been really low and I am not off to a good start. What can I do to make myself more optimistic and motivated to work harder in school and get my homework done on time?

– Help!

Dear Help!,

I totally understand why you are feeling this way. Failing your finals can be a huge downer but instead of dwelling in the past, embrace what is here and now because, after all, second semester is a blank slate in terms of academics. It’s not too late to get back in the game, but you have to possess some self-confidence in order to bump up your grades. I believe the key to success in getting good grades, especially on tests and quizzes, is to be confident in what you can do and not worry about what you can’t do. Focus on what you know and most importantly don’t let exams bring you down so much! They are only one way of indicating a person’s intelligence and not everyone is a good test-taker, including me. Don’t let tests determine your self-worth, they just aren’t worth it.

Dear Anonymous,

My friends have been leaving me out lately and I don’t know why. They make plans without me and they always talk about how much fun they have together right in front of me. I can’t stand it any longer! I feel like an outcast in my friend group and I don’t know who to turn to.

– Lonely and Confused

Dear Lonely and Confused,

This situation is not uncommon, especially in high school. Most likely they are avoiding you over something really stupid and in a couple of days they will forget why they left you out in the first place. But until then, I would keep busy and not let it get to you so much. Don’t let their behavior influence yours and most importantly, don’t put up a wall between your friendships. If they really are your friends they will make the effort to include you in their lives. As far as your confusion goes, don’t try and overthink it. Sometimes people do things for no reason and they don’t even know why they’re doing it! Stay strong, everyone goes through friend drama.

Thank you all for your questions and keep them coming in!