Why Travel Abroad for School?

By, Ethan Partridge | Writer

May 4th, 2016

In the more recent years of world languages at SCHS, Spanish, French, and Japanese teachers have expanded beyond the average school field trip. Every other year, each language class takes a trip to a different country, accompanied by natives who speak that respective language. For example, French students travel to France, Japanese students travel to Japan, and Spanish students travel to a South American country that speaks Spanish (it changes every trip).

This opportunity overwhelms the students in many ways more than just language immersion. Traveling to a foreign country is something not many of them have not yet experienced. Feeling intimidated and stressed, some students wonder, “why even take the trip?”

For some it’s within that fear that they think they can get the greatest experience. “People choose to travel abroad because it really gives them a wonderful experience,” said sophomore Olivia French. “They get to meet new people, learn about their cultures, and put the language they’ve taken to use. (Lowpricebud) Whether or not they actually travel, I encourage people to at least consider it.”

One of the best things about foreign travel is that it opens your mind to the rest of the world, allowing you to consider different places to study, work, or even live. San Clemente students may find it difficult to conceptualize anything outside of what they already know, so travel like this can open their eyes to new opportunities. “I decided to apply to a college in Japan because the country appealed to me so much when I took the trip,” said senior Sarah Mills. “I love the language I’m learning, and I just want to be able to use it more.”

Traveling anywhere for the first time, of course, can be scary– so much that you may not want to do it at all. But, the experience gained from a trip speaks for itself. It is truly worth overcoming your fear.

1 Comment on Why Travel Abroad for School?

1. I really liked this article and think it’s very well written. I liked how they talked about how it might be harder for some San Clemente people to leave places they are already comfortable in. Maybe to add something to this article they could have TALED about traveling or studying abroad after high schools