Victory! Jazz by the Beach is Back at the San Clemente Pier

By: Danny Olivares | Arts & Entertainment Editor

May 9, 2018

Over 18 years ago, SCHS’s jazz band and the city of San Clemente collaborated to create the well-beloved annual Jazz by the Beach. This event showcases the talents of our San Clemente High School jazz band as well as the Shorecliffs Middle School jazz band. It has been a tradition that both ensembles play alongside each other as fellow musicians next to the San Clemente pier. Unfortunately, due to complications, the San Clemente city council and mayor decided this year that it was time to pull the plug on the approaching 19th annual event and relocate it to the North Beach Market. Last summer, the city turned the dirt lot at North Beach into a farmer’s market and music venue. It’s safe to assume the city felt that the jazz event was too disruptive for local beachgoers and thought it reasonable to move the event to the market where other groups will be playing. Hearing the news of this dramatic change greatly devastated the young musicians. Freshman member Luke Jones explained with a heavy heart that, “It was really saddening because I have already played there for two years in 6th and 7th grade on the bari sax. I was really excited to play at the beach again. The high schoolers pretty much inspired me to continue music and I feel that it is important for a lot of incoming freshmen to play at this concert and become inspired themselves.” 

The jazz bands weren’t the only ones saddened by the news; parents, relatives, and city natives all felt that the city unfairly altered something that helped to bring the community together through music. Hearing live music at the beach is such a relaxing and fun experience — why would parents want to see their kids play on an empty dirt lot? However, hope was not totally lost. A few months ago, members of the jazz band and supporters spoke to the city council to express their disagreement with the council’s decision. Sadly, the council still didn’t budge. It wasn’t until recently that the students regained their confidence and came up with the idea of creating an online petition called “City of San Clemente: Save Jazz Music at the San Clemente Pier campaign” as their last-ditch effort. The goal was to get at least 500 signatures in a week, but remarkably, in just two days they managed to gather 781 signatures. With this impressive feat to display, the council finally revoked their decision and Jazz by the Beach is now back on. Last Tuesday night, the jazz band and their family celebrated the good news with some fish and chips at the Fisherman’s Restaurant. With hope finally restored, senior member Olivia French explained that “it’s important that our jazz event happens on the beach because it is an opportunity for the community to really focus on the students showcasing their hard work. If we were to play at North Beach, the jazz bands would be seen as seconds acts because other bands would be playing all around us. Our sound would be drown out and the focus would be taken away from us. The farmer’s market is a city-sponsored event and having us play at the market shows that the city doesn’t really care about an event intended for the students to display their talents.” You can catch Jazz by the Beach on Thursday, May 31st at 5 P.M next to the pier.