Triton Idol 2015

IMG_5266 (1024x683)

By Jasmine Martinez | Writer

February 24, 2015

Returning this year on Friday, February 6, San Clemente High School’s annual Triton Idol wowed the audience with a range of very talented performances.

Consisting of solos and groups that presented covers ranging from John Lennon, Fleetwood Mac, and even Taylor Swift, this year’s Triton Idol gave a display of impressive talent from around campus. With a judge panel that comprised of the beloved Alison Shick, cross country coach Dave Proodian, and Assistant Principal Cameron Lovett, the stakes for victory were high.IMG_5291 (1024x683)

In the end, the “Best Group,” award went to the “The Daughter’s,” a band of students that includes ShikhaMody, Kira Jan, Maia Gibson, and Annie Combs.  “Best Soloist” was awarded to Alexis Kerr, and the “Best Overall” award was given to contestants Danielle DiMarco, Alyssa Bardzilowski, Daniel Klevit, and Katie McGowan, who performed “Rhiannon,” a song by Fleetwood Mac.

To get a peek into the behind the scenes of the Triton Idol process, I interviewed esteemed judge, Ms. Shick.

While she ran around the library during after-school tutorial last Wednesday, I was able to catch up with her and ask her some questions about the over-all experience of being a judge this year. Overwhelmed by the amazing acts and capabilities of the contestants, Ms. Shick explained to me, “I was really impressed by the talent at the show, I was not expecting that much talent.”

IMG_5165 (1024x683)She described the process, relaying to me that the most important thing a judge faces is the question of whether or not a contestant deserves to win an award. To Ms. Shick, all of the contestants performed well enough and were deserving, but her favorite act for “Best Overall” was the group who performed “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac, the same group who won.

In agreement, senior Evelin Mercado said, “I really enjoyed the performance by the group who covered Fleetwood Mac.”

As a first time judge, Ms. Shick recounted the event as a “nerve wracking experience…being in front of the class is different from being in front of the audience.”

When asked about her fellow judges, Mr. Lovett and Mr. Proodian, Ms. Shick happily commented on their helpfulness during the event. “I loved working with them. Mr. Proodian knew more about music than I did, and that is due to the fact that he himself is a musician and really knew how to judge the contestants.” The mix of personalities on the judge panel proved to benefit the show, adding entertainment for the audience, and comfort for the three judges. Finally, as the interview came to an end, Ms. Shick returned to her daily routine of running after school tutorial and helping out students.IMG_5249 (1024x683)

Triton Idol, a success once more, has proved itself as a popular and loved production for the SCHS stage. Director Jeremy Wiggins is an outstanding coordinator, and his skill generated another entertaining show. Students and teachers across campus cannot wait for another presentation of Triton Idol.