CUSD Honors Concert features the district’s best instrumental and vocal musicians

The High School Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Iman Khosrowpour (photo by: Julia Wengier)

By: Julia Wengier | Editor in Chief

February 18, 2020

On Thursday, February 13, the Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD) showcased the annual Honors Concert featuring select students from middle school to high school ensembles. The concert began at seven p.m. in the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, located at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa.

San Clemente High School’s (SCHS) Assistant Principal of Guidance Dr. Cat Nolan led as Master of Ceremonies, introducing the middle school honor orchestra, middle school honor choir, middle school honor band, high school honor choir, high school honor orchestra, and the finale, composed of the combined honor choirs and the high school symphony orchestra. With this long line-up of groups, there was an intermission before high school groups performed.

CUSD Honors Concert program cover (photo by: Julia Wengier)

Each group is made of only CUSD students who auditioned months before the concert, and each group rehearsed for the few weeks leading up to the concert. Each group has their own guest conductor, as well, who is invited by CUSD directors to create a program, run rehearsals, and prepare for the concert with these talented, selected students.

“I was proud of how, with very little rehearsal, we were able to create something truly musical,” SCHS junior percussionist Matthew Macarewich said. “It was an amazing experience and I’m looking forward to it my senior year.”

Every year, the concert closes with the “Amazing Grace” finale, a show-stopping piece featuring both choir and symphony orchestra, beginning with a bagpipes solo performed by bagpipe professional Kevin Weed. This piece is famous for bringing the audience to tears, as one final bow from the performers that night.

As the honor groups are audition-only, the musicians chosen are the school district’s best. These students get a rare opportunity to work with fellow musically-passionate students from other schools in order to learn more, meet new people, and make memories of professional-sounding music. They also get a chance to work with directors from other schools, and perhaps solo in a prestigious music hall filled to capacity.

“Singing in the Segerstrom Hall is a rare opportunity given to few,” SCHS senior Jacob Boland said. “The guest conductors come from around the world and make the most incredible experiences you’ll ever imagine.”