San Clemente High School’s girls basketball continues with a long run into the CIF-SS playoffs

San Clemente High School’s girls basketball varsity team. (Photo: SCHS girls basketball website)

By: Abby Stewart | Sports Editor 

February 21, 2020

San Clemente High School’s girls basketball team is continuing a long run of wins with their season. Coaching the Lady Tritons is head coach Kerri Husbands with assistant coaches Jeff Aragona, Lauren Actis, and Andrew Gardiner. Captains Ella Gardiner and Esther Mafouta have led the team both on and off the court throughout the whole season. 

With an overall record of 26-3, the Lady Tritons seem unstoppable. The team has only lost two preseason games against Aliso Viejo High School and Westview High School and one league game against Tesoro High School. 

SCHS senior Kennedy Hogan during practice.

“This season we have not only been very successful, but also we have great team chemistry,” senior captain Esther Mafouta said. “I truly believe it is something that sets us apart from the other teams we play as we get along both on and off the court.”

Their league record is 7-1, earning them a South Coast League title. After finishing league with an outstanding record, the Lady Tritons advanced to compete in the division 2A of the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section playoffs. 

“This season has been a lot of work, everyday improving our skills and striving to be better than yesterday,” senior captain Ella Gardiner said. “It is great to see all that hard work play out in these last games. We have had so much fun this season and I know none of us want it to end.”

Starting off the playoffs, the girls earned a win against Culver City High School. On Wednesday February 20th, the Lady Tritons traveled to Summit High School where they competed in the quarterfinals. After an intense game the Tritons beat the Sky Hawks with a final score of 79-67. (sunriseequipment)  

After beating Summit High School on Wednesday night, the team has qualified for the state playoffs which will begin after CIF-SS playoffs have ended. 

Come out and support the Lady Tritons this Saturday February 22 at seven o’clock at home as they will be competing against Boroughs High School to advance into the finals!