Winter Olympics: The SCHS Winter Spirit Assembly

TRITON CHEER opens up the Winter Olympic Spirit Assembly commencing the school spirit. Talie Folsom

Talie Folsom | A&E Editor

January 28, 2022

San Clemente High School held another great spirit assembly on January 27. Whether it be in the bleachers or on the field, there was high energy, great entertainment, and a variety of fun to lighten the mood of the school day. With the Winter Olympics theme, ASB effectively crafted each aspect of the assembly. 

WINTER GAMES added to the theme and  challenged teachers and their athletic capabilities. Talie Folsom

After moving the assembly to the football field, ASB has been doing whatever it takes to maintain SCHS spirit. With many decorations and wonderful organizers, they definitely made the most out of the football field setting. 

The assembly was hosted by the Homecoming king and queen, Diego Crawford and Cora LaFollette.

“They were perfect hosts for the assembly,” senior Kelsey Ostrander said. “They are people with big and funny personalities.” The hosts were able to produce comedic commentary and remarks throughout the assembly, making the experience memorable.

There were a variety of creative games concepts to go with the Winter Olympics theme. There was the skiing race where teachers ran with pool noodles taped to their feet, the roller skating race (mimicking the winter sport of ice skating), the hockey game of teachers versus students, and the bobsledding competition between the math and English departments.  

SPORTS TEAMS DANCE their team dances that lead to laughter and highlighted surprising talent. Talie Folsom

“I love how the teachers get to participate in the assemblies,” senior Eleazar Hernandez said. “It’s exciting for the students to cheer on their teachers, and to also see a fun side of our teachers.”

Along with the creativity within the games, the dancing by different sports teams is the highlight and is what really makes these assemblies enjoyable. The dancing is always unique and fun, pleasing the audience at every assembly. The assembly started with dances from cheer followed by girls wrestling, boys basketball, girls water polo, boys and girls soccer, girls basketball, the drum line, and finally the dance team. 

“My favorite dance was definitely boys basketball,” senior Elle McGovern said. “The best part was watching Charlie Spaeth and Asher Gardiner sing ‘Love Story’ by Taylor Swift.” Of course, while all the dances were super unique, they are always shown up by the real dance team here at SCHS. The dancers concluded the assembly with an outstanding performance that demonstrated their talent and reflected their hard work throughout the year.

DRUM LINE and the rest of the assembly producers and organizers all make memories while shouting the SC chant. Talie Folsom

Near the end of the assembly, all the teams came together with the drum line doing the popular SCHS chant while moshing. These little moments are what gives SCHS its pride. With the hard efforts from all around campus, there was yet another impeccable spirit assembly.

After an outstanding performance for the Winter Assembly, get excited to see more at the Spring Assembly scheduled for April 21, 2022. 

1 Comment on Winter Olympics: The SCHS Winter Spirit Assembly