Mixed feelings on Taylor Swift’s new album

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH AT VMAS: Taylor Swift announces her album after winning the Video of the Year Award. TrueScoop

Hannah Eberle | A&E Editor   &   Shea Gallagher | Student Life Editor

September 2, 2022

While receiving a VMA for video of the year, Taylor Swift announced her new album, due to drop in October. Known for many hits throughout the years, the iconic singer-songwriter shook up her fandom with this news. The announcement left all “swifties” (her loyal fandom) ecstatic, while others were less excited. 

In 2021, Taylor released a re-recording of her Red album along with a short film version of her song “All too Well.” This combination was a hit, and the music video itself led Taylor to receive the VMA, a fan-voted award. Although the Swifties were satisfied by this success, it would be an understatement to say that they are hungry for brand new music. 

Taylor’s fans started to notice hints in some of her previous work. The easter egg of the word “Midnight” has been incorporated into her songs for the past few years. The most obvious clue is Taylor’s arrival at the VMA’s. The swifties recognized similarities between the dress she arrived in and the bathtub scene from her 2017 music video, “Look what you made me do.” 

BEAUTIFUL HOMAGE: Taylor in the 2017 music video, “Look what you made me do” compared to the 2022 VMA’s. Twitter/@throwbacktaylor 

Many sites can be found at San Clemente High School, such as senior Olivia Longenecker, who spoke for the fandom when stating she “felt really excited because it’s her tenth studio album. She’s been re-recording her old albums for a while, so I’m excited about something new.” As many of us are thrilled to hear what Taylor is going to drop, Olivia is “excited to see what sound it’s gonna bring, and am expecting something fresh and unique.” 

While most students are thrilled with the news, some are less enthusiastic. Senior Chloe Mills says “How can we be so excited time and time again when she’s dropping the same type of music all over again? I’m over it!” Students like Chloe are bored of Taylor’s simple sound, they are looking for something new. It is fair to say that Chloe’s loyalties remain with Kanye West as she claims “Kanye always has a new sound with each album”. 

Whether you are a die-hard swiftie, an avid hater of Taylor, or somewhere in between, there is no denying that the public is interested to see what will come with this new album.