Been looking for something to read? Here are some suggestions…

flickr.com

Shea Gallagher | Student Life Editor 

March 3, 2023

The second most popular hobby of people in the United States is reading. Approximately 36% of people would describe reading as one of their hobbies, leaving many people on the hunt for some new books. Here are some of San Clemente High School’s student body’s top picks: 

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: “This is my favorite book because it makes me think deeply within myself.” – Senior Melia Hyde

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King: “It is a good mystery book that didn’t get boring at all and is well written.” – Senior Jaxon Donahue 

Everything Everything by  Nicola Yoon: “It’s a story of a girl that is allergic to basically everything and falls in love.”  – Senior Kayla Shanafelt 

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury: “The first book I loved reading in school. The story was a concept I had never heard of.” – Senior Hayden Oldham

The Stranger by Albert Camus: “The story interested me and I think his ideas are neat!” – Senior Olivia Longnecker

The Institute by Stephen King: “Unnerving and interesting. It is a very creative plot and connects multiple sides of the mystery.” – Senior Ruby Hawbecker

1984 by George Orwell: “The story is captivating, intense, and interesting.” – Sophomore Phoebe Demoss

The Maze Runner by James Dashner: “I liked it because it was eventful and the characters were very adventurous.” – Freshman  Emmi Franklin 

BEACH TOWN BOOKS: Local book store in San Clemente. Beach Town Books

Little Foxes Took Up Matches by Katya Kazbek: “Written from a child’s perspective, and takes you along some terrible events, but is very insightful. The writing itself is very pretty.” –  Senior Freya Poteet

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Johnathan Auxier: “A thrilling series that has visuals every chapter to better picture what you’re reading. Very unique storyline.” –  Senior Charlie Williamson

Fablehaven book series by Brandon Mull: “Fantasy books that you think about in your dreams. The whimsical storyline and author utilizes a lot of imagery to see the world in the story.” – Senior Emmy Atkinson

A great place for San Clemente residents to pick up books is Beach Town Books at 99 Avenida Serra. There, they sell new and used books and it is likely you will find what you’re looking for with their large selection.