Caught stealing: the Brad Bohannon curveball in the NCAA betting game

STRIKE THREE: The NCAA places a 15-year show cause against ex-Alabama baseball head coach Brad Bohannon. (Whole Hog Sports)

Sophia Yeskulsky | Sports Editor

February 8, 2024

On February 1st, the NCAA announced sanctions for both the University of Alabama and its former head baseball coach, Brad Bohannon, stating that he had deliberately shared insider information with a gambler who then placed bets against the Crimson Tide in an SEC game last spring. 

48-year-old Brad Bohannon was the head coach of the Crimson Tide from 2017-2023. During his six seasons, he helped rebuild the program. With multiple successful recruiting classes and over 20 Crimson Tide MLB draft picks, Bohannon owns a 136-109 (.555) record. However, things took a turn for the worse when he was suddenly fired mid-season back in May of 2023. 

After unusual bets were detected on a game involving the team, the University announced that Bohannon was fired for “violating the standards, duties, and responsibilities expected of university employees,” among other things. When asked more about the specifics of the situation, they declined to answer.

ESPN reported that the U.S. Integrity, a firm specializing in identifying irregular betting behaviors, flagged concerning activity during a Friday night game on April 28, 2023, between Alabama and Louisiana State. The chairman of the Louisiana Gaming Control Board revealed that two significant bets were placed at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati which raised suspicions. These wagers were placed on LSU to win. 

The scheduled Alabama starting pitcher, Luke Holman, was replaced shortly before the game by Hagan Banks due to back tightness. This was a significant change, as Holman was the team’s ace. Coming into the game, he had a 5-2 record from nine starts and a 3.15 E.R.A while Banks had not started since March 16th. It was speculated that this could have had something to do with the suspicious bets; but after a couple of months, the issue seemed to drift away and was quickly forgotten. However, on Thursday, February 1st, 2024, it was revealed as to why Bohannon was fired.

According to the NCAA, Bohannon messaged an individual he knew to be engaged in betting on the Alabama baseball game on April 28, 2003: “[Student-athlete] is out for sure … Lemme know when I can tell [the opposing team] … Hurry,” Bohannon texted the bettor, according to the NCAA. Bohannon essentially wanted to let this bettor know that his team was going to lose to LSU because Luke Holman, their starting pitcher, was not going to be playing before it was released to the public. 

EJECTED: Bohannon’s motives were unclear, however, it is speculated that the bettor was going to give Bohannon a share of the money he won. (Forbes)

After receiving this text, the bettor, who was revealed to be Bert Eugene Neff, attempted to place a $100,000 wager on the Alabama game, but was limited to a $15,000 bet by the sportsbook’s staff. He was further declined when he attempted to place additional bets due to suspicious activity. 

After Bohannon was fired, he “failed to meet his obligation to cooperate with an NCAA investigation when he did not participate in an interview, did not disclose relevant information, and did not provide access to electronic devices to further the enforcement staff’s investigation,” the NCAA commented.

When asked about the scandal, Triton junior Liberty Maxwell commented, “I don’t know why he [Bohannon] would risk his job for a little extra money?” Sophomore Grace Bunker, who plays for the girl’s varsity lacrosse team, had similar feelings: “It’s disappointing to see people are in positions to help and mentor collegiate student-athletes set such bad examples” she explained.

In the end, the bettor, Bert Eugene Neff, is facing up to 10 years in prison and Bohannon and the University of Alabama were faced with three years of probation and a $5,000 fine. 

The NCAA also included:

• A 15-year show-cause order for Bohannon. During the show-cause order, any employing member institution shall restrict Bohannon from any athletically related position. If Bohannon becomes employed during the show-cause period, he shall be suspended for 100% of the baseball regular season for the first five seasons of his employment.
  • Alabama will retain EPIC Global Solutions to provide a comprehensive gambling harm and student-athlete protection education program for student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators.