Girls’ flag football is coming to SCHS!

INCREASING POPULARITY! Girls’ flag football has been added to multiple schools across California and experienced great success last fall. (The Mercury News)

February 8, 2024

Charlotte Yeskulsky | Head Editor

Last week, in a groundbreaking announcement, San Clemente High School is set to witness a new era of inclusivity and athleticism as girls’ flag football is officially introduced. Met with much excitement, the news of an official 2024 girls’ flag football program was revealed at Eighth Grade Expo Night by athletic director Jon Hamro. 

Although many details of the program are still in the works, stepping into the head coach position is Mr. Popovich, one of the school’s most valued teachers. Formerly the boys’ head basketball coach for fifteen years here at SCHS, Mr. Popovich has been a Triton long before he became a teacher. After moving to San Clemente when he was five, he attended Truman Benedict Elementary and Shorecliffs Middle School, all before coming to SCHS and graduating in 1998. He currently instructs two high-level courses on campus: IB Global Politics and AP US History. With his wealth of experience and knowledge of sports, girls’ flag will be a fun but challenging endeavor. Also joining Popovich on the SCHS girl’s flag football staff is Ms. Dimperio. Ms. Dimperio has been teaching at the school for ten years and teaches both Honors Algebra 2 Trig as well as Precalculus. While she admits to having less experience with football, she makes up for it with her peppy personality and competitiveness. Excited to join the program in its first year she sees it as an opportunity to involve more student athletes and establish a thriving program here at SCHS.

EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS: Corona Del Mar’s girls’ flag football team takes off in their first-ever season. (Los Angeles Times)

While this news is exciting for many female athletes around the school, there’s only one concern. How do I make the team when I’ve never played flag football before? The good thing about this is that everyone else is in the same exact situation. Since girls’ flag will have its first season in the fall, it is unlikely that anyone knows the rules and format. 

As for the limited amount of information released so far, the summer camp dates are June 17-27. After talking with Ms. Dimperio she explained that the camp will be a great place for any girls who are willing to learn for the fall and no experience is needed to participate. Flag football is a fall sport so we will see the team’s first season at the beginning of the 2024-25 school year. They will also be participating in the Sea View League although exact opponents have not been set yet.

Besides new athletic opportunities, students around the school are eager to participate as this sports addition has been rumored for years. Looking forward to the next school year, you can expect a highly competitive inaugural season aiming for success similar to other athletics here at SCHS.

About Charlotte Yeskulsky 11 Articles
Charlotte Yeskulsky is a Junior at San Clemente High School and is entering her first year as a writer for the Triton Times. She is excited to join the community of people involved as well as spread information about current events. She loves to support her school and is a member of both the varsity soccer and lacrosse teams. In her small amount of spare time, Charlotte enjoys hanging out with her friends and family as well as surfing after school.