SCHS Dance Team Headed to Nationals

dance team (1280x853)

By, Hannah Lickley | Writer

March 3, 2016

On March 5th, the San Clemente High School Girl’s Dance Team successfully completed its 19th regional competition season.  During the regular season, they participated in eight regional competitions in Southern California from December 12th – March 5th.

Their next stop is the California State Championships on March 11th and 12th at John Burroughs High School in Glendale, CA.  The week following will provide the team the opportunity to compete against the best-of-the-best in high school dance at the USA Nationals held at the Anaheim Convention Center on March 18th and 19th.   The team has faced stiff completion this season from over 50 high schools from LA county down through San Diego county but plan to uphold the team’s legacy as 14-time USA Nationals Champions.

dance team 2 (1280x853)

The team is comprised of 21 student dancers across grade levels. The purpose of the team is to create a positive atmosphere where the students can develop their mind, body, and spirit–and have fun! The focus is diverse.  They are a Competition Team who also spends time and energy on giving back to the San Clemente community that so generously supports the dance program. When the dancers are not practicing, running, strength training or working on technical dance skills, they find time to participate in the International Baccalaureate Program, National Honor Society, California Scholarship Federation, Assisteens, Relay for Life, church youth groups, community outreach programs and a myriad of other academic and volunteer activities.

The team is also integral to enhancing SCHS school spirit and performs at football games, spirit assemblies and pep rallies. Their season culminates in an end of the school year dance concert to be held in the large gym on May 20th and 21st. This event is always sold-out and the Team showcases its competition numbers alongside the ever popular Co-Ed dance, IB dance and ROP dance numbers.  The SCHS Dance Team practices between 16 and 20 hours a week for the entire school year.  It is the ONLY sport at SCHS to train, compete and perform year round.

The team is fortunate to have an extraordinary coaching staff including Interim Head Coach Dani Braithwaite, Assistant Coach Hartley Klement, and Assistant Coach Marissa Prolo. The coaches continue the dance team tradition as all three are alumi of SCHS and the Dance Team.  This year SCHS hired Lauren Peterson as Dance Program Director and Physical Education Teacher.  Her qualifications include ​an Associates Degree in Dance Technology, a BA in Dance, a Masters in PE, Yoga Instructor Certification and Stand Up Paddle Yoga Master Instructor.​  Ms. Peterson has energetically worked to move the dance program forward through previous experience, education and enthusiasm during the 2015/2016 season. Right after USA Nationals the team will hold auditions on March 29th, 30th and April 1st.

Dancers interested in trying out for the 2016/2017 team can contact Tracy Stay or email  [email protected] for more information.