What to know about Measure H (the school renovations bond) before the March ballot

A “Yes on [measure] H” can bring SCHS a safe and modern campus in the future (photo by Julia Wengier)
By: Julia Wengier | Editor in Chief

January 23, 2020

On March 3, 2020, California will vote in the primary election, participating in the democratic process on the national, state, and local level. For San Clemente residents, this is a big event for local matters, as it’s a chance to change the school experience for future San Clemente students. The highly-anticipated Measure H proposes a bond that will dramatically upgrade San Clemente school campuses, with safe repairs and exciting new additions.

For years, San Clemente High School has awaited much needed renovations. The majority of facilities on campus are originals, meaning they were built at the time of the school’s opening in 1965, over 50 years ago. These aging buildings, including the main and guidance offices, the library, the Triton center, the pools, and many currently in-use classrooms, are in desperate need of renovations, and in some cases, replacement. Some upgrades and replacements are in such desperate need, as the deteriorating facilities compromise student and faculty safety; many of these buildings are not up to code and do not meet earthquake safety standards.

A common misconception regarding school funding is found when people want the school district to pay for renovations and repairs without asking them to vote on a property tax increase themselves. In reality, district budgets can only support minor repairs, with mainly temporary fixes. In California, school districts are expected to pass bonds for major improvements, and then the state will often “match” these funds. San Clemente High School science teacher Mr. Young compared this concept to a house mortgage.

“It’s like when you buy a house and take out a mortgage because you don’t have all the money in cash to buy the house,” Mr. Young said. “In the long run it costs you more to buy the house because of interest, but you are leveraging your collateral. You would never be able to afford that house on just your annual budget. School bonds are the same thing. Major construction costs more than can be afforded on the repair budget.”

Measure H proposes not only bringing school facilities up to code for student safety, but also modernizing the campus. New proposed facilities include 21st Century classrooms with updated technology, a new cafeteria, a new library and lab center, a performing arts center, new and updated sports facilities, and a new student services center. Renovations include repairing roofs and support beams, as well as plumbing and electrical systems. An annual tax of $34 per $100,000 in assessed property value can “generate up to $120 million in locally controlled funding,” and it will be ongoing until “the bonds are outstanding and until they are fully repaid” (OurTownOurSchools).

Proposed plans for the new Mass Media room at SCHS are on display in the library (Photo by Faith Haas)

“No one likes to pay taxes, but everyone likes to go to the schools and drive on the roads,” Mr. Young said. Measure H will support San Clemente High School, as well as other San Clemente schools and Capistrano Beach schools. As opposed to Measure M that had been turned down during the 2016 election, Measure H will be voted on and funded by San Clemente residents, not the entire district. San Clemente will fund San Clemente school renovations, and this important distinction may be key to passing the bond. To pass, the measure needs a support of 55% of voters.

“A question I hear a lot from students is, ‘why should I care about the bond? I’ll have graduated before they’re finished with the school,'” SCHS senior and Student Advisor to the CUSD Board of Trustees Genavieve Koenigshofer said. “But think about your younger teammates— whether that be from a sport, a band, a club, or any other community— and those who will come after them. This is our opportunity to make a better school for them. And if we don’t act right now to make things better, who else will?”

For more information on Measure H, visit https://ourtownourschools.com/