Getting To Know Principal Carter

By, Maya Fransz-Myers | Media Editor    &    Sara Barnes | Student Life Editor

September 15, 2015

San Clemente High School welcomes new principal, Chris Carter, to our beloved campus for the 2015-16 school year. Featured is an informative video and Q&A that will help both the students and community get to know this San Clemente local better.

How would you describe your experience here thus far?

It’s been great! It’s a wonderful school, the start of the school year was outstanding, and I really enjoyed the students here; very nice, friendly, and overall just a very welcoming campus. The teachers are wonderful, they’ve been super supportive, so it’s just been a great transition.

How many years have you been working as a principal?

This will be my twelfth year. I have eleven years under my belt, seven at the middle school and four at the high school.

What was the last high school you worked at?

The last high school I worked at was Aliso Niguel High School in Aliso Viejo, I was there for the past four years.

What do you hope to bring to San Clemente?

You know, I hope to bring a lot of energy and excitement. My goal, really, is to build on the great traditions this school has. San Clemente is 50 years strong, there’s lots of cultural things  that have been very important to the development of this great school. So, I hope that I bring the idea of continual improvement which means that we build upon the traditions and the ideas that exist here already and really, one of my goals, always, wherever I go, is to take the school where it’s at and build upon the great things that are already there.

How do you hope to attack any problems you may have to face this year? One example being the freshman hill in regards to the El Niño this year.

Any problem I try to tackle through collaboration. I try to work with the people that can be most affective in helping me solve problems. So let’s say if it’s an issue with the weather and our facility, I would work closely with the district office. You know, if we do have large rains we definitely will have to brainstorm how we are going to get kids up and down [the hill]. If we have a ton of rain, maybe we’ll make the upper hill a slip n’ slide to get people down here a little quicker. We are bracing for an interesting weather year, if that’s the case we’ll definitely have to be creative and use the resources that we have through our district office and here on our campus.

What made you want to become a principal?

It’s interesting, I never set out to be a principal, my goal was to teach history. I was a history teacher at Shorecliffs Middle School and when I got there I became an Activities Director, so that was kind of my focus, I wanted to do activities, teach, and really just have a career that was surrounded around kids. I actually applied for a job here at SCHS as the Activities Director and I didn’t get the job, but that same summer I was given a job as an assistant principal at a middle school. So all of a sudden I started working down that road, and I kept getting promoted. It was never really a goal of mine to be a principal, I kind of just ended up here.

What are you expectations for this year?

My expectations for this year are to really get to know this campus well. To get to know its teachers, coaches, office staff, and all the individuals who work to make this campus as great as it is. I also really want to get to know the community deeply, the kids and the parents that attend this wonderful school. So, I’m really looking forward this year to really just getting rounded, so that I have a better understanding of the culture and the programs here at San Clemente High School.