Winter Formal 2020: A truly ‘Galactic Wonderland’

All of the 2020 Winter Formal Kings and Queens, except for junior Chelsea Adel who didn’t attend the dance (Photo by: Luke Huston)

By Stolie Erickson | Writer

January 21, 2020

This past weekend, San Clemente High School put on their annual Winter Formal, taking place on January 18 from 7:30-10:30pm at the AV Irvine. The theme this year was “out of this world” or more specifically, galaxy. This year, ASB sold over 800 tickets, compared to last years 1,200.

The dance illustrated the theme perfectly this year with strobe lights scattering the room and shimmering decorations mimicking the idea of a “galactic wonderland.” The setup seemed extremely time consuming, as there were a ton of decorations all throughout the building to give a true “intergalactic” feel through both visuals and activities.

Additionally, a group of students from SCHS were voted into the Winter Formal Court which allowed them to run for king and queen for each grade.

Freshmen Boys:

• Brad Gerken
  • Nathaniel Pierce
  • Michael Tordone

Freshmen Girls:

• Morgan Mack
  • Sage Mayne
  • Chloe Mills

Sophomore Boys:

• Meelad Ahmadi
  • Easton Cattich
  • Charlie Mulligan

Sophomore Girls:

• Sabrina Bozeman
  • Olivia Cates
  • Nevaeh DeCoito

Junior Boys:

• John Koenigshofer 
  • Zachary Mallgrave
  • Trent Stacy

Junior Girls:

• Chelsea Adel
  • Madilyn Gutowski
  • Morgan Wagner

Senior Boys:

• William King
  • Ishaan Mody
  • Jeremy Silverman

Senior Girls:

• Hana Catsimanes
  • Celina Gonzalez
  • Genavieve Koenigshofer 

After the votes were cast on the infamous 5-star app, these were the results:

Senior King Jeremy Silverman and Queen Hana Catsimanes (Photo by: Luke Huston)
  • Freshman King: Nathaniel Pierce
  • Freshman Queen: Chloe Mills
  • Sophomore King: Meelad Ahmadi
  • Sophomore Queen: Olivia Cates
  • Junior King: Zachary Mallgrave
  • Junior Queen: Chelsea Adel
  • Senior King: Jeremy Silverman
  • Senior Queen: Hana Catsimanes

After announcing the kings and queens, the crowd went wild with excitement. Many were pleased to see the outcome of the votes, judging from the students reactions. However, not all were happy with the results.

“Of course, it isn’t ideal to have been on formal court two years in a row without winning either time,” junior John Koenigshofer said. “But hey, two of my best friends won the honor this year; how sad can I really be about that?” 

Overall, the night was full of enjoyable activities including video games, a balloon room, and of course, the dance itself. There were also multiple food stands consisting of various drinks and treats including coffee and pizza. The DJ played the top trending songs right now in the United States, allowing each individual to get involved and into a dancing mood.

“The Winter Formal environment is super welcoming with so many different activities like coffee truck snacks and balloon rooms. There are so many options so you’re never really bored,” junior Madilyn Gutowski said. “I had lots of fun because I could spend time with my friends, get all dressed up, ride a party bus, dance, and listen to music.”

Every so often, the DJ would set up a live camera of the mosh pit which was pictured on a projector screen on stage for everyone to see. Pictures which had been taken at the mini-photo stations were also being displayed. A machine also sprayed confetti into the air above the dancing floor, consisting of sparkly contents which floated through the air and landed upon the dancers as they reached to catch the confetti.

Winter Formal 2020, although experienced by less this year in comparison to last year, was and will always be unique. This year will become a memory of the past while new activities settle in during the spring season at San Clemente.

Prom 2020 takes place on May 16 at 8pm! Be there for a memorable night filled with dancing and fun activities!