Newsies at SCHS: behind the scenes

NEWSIES ON THE STAGE: San Clemente high school students perform the closing number. SCHS Drama

Chloe Gerhard | Writer

October 7, 2022

The long-awaited San Clemente production of Newsies is finally here! However, this Thursday evening, opening night, what the audience saw on stage, is not the entire performance. There’s just as much going on behind the scenes that the audience does not see. Students from the cast and crew have met from 4:30 pm to 10:00 pm every evening this week in preparation for opening night. Before that, cast and crew members have dedicated their weeknights and weekends to this latest SCHS Drama production since returning to school in August. 

One of the hard-working crews specializes in makeup and hair. Hair and makeup lead, junior Sophia Miller spoke on her job working backstage, “I apply the makeup in a way that makes the actor’s facial expressions not only pop but also works with the intense lighting. I have had a lot of practice since I have been doing my own stage makeup since I was seven.” Not only does Newsies include stage makeup, but also the application of facial hair, bruises, and dirt. The makeup and hair crew gets creative freedom to create looks for each of the characters. Sophia Miller goes on to discuss wig application, “I make sure wigs fit properly and don’t fly off of actors’ heads. This is critical during a dramatic scene.”  

NEWSIES: Official Disney logo for the broadway musical. mtishows

Another member of the crew, costume lead, senior Sam Morgan explained, “Most of the behind-the-scenes work during the shows include quick changes and alterations. The attention to detail in the costumes enhances everyone’s experience. It helps to bring the characters to life. All the hard work pays off in the end.¨

Don’t miss show-stopping performances from cast and crew, on stage and off. Shows start at 7 pm on SCHS upper campus this week!