Declassified School Survival Guide

By: Sydney Burns | Writer   &   Emma Earlywine | Writer

The first year of high school can be a daunting experience that you might have been dreading all summer. Although it isn’t like High School Musical, you can make the most of it by following our helpful hints.

The first thing that you are probably thinking is: what to bring. The essentials are a binder, college ruled paper, black or blue pens, and pencils. On the first day of school, teachers will tell you what you need to have on hand, but having the essentials will be helpful. You will need to be organized to succeed in high school. Sierra Moore, a senior here at San Clemente High School, is a 3.8 GPA student by following some simple guidelines. She shares, “I have stayed organized these past years in high school by using a planner, so I don’t forget to do homework and assignments.” You can buy planners for school here at SCHS for $10 at registration or at Target.

As school reaches the one month mark, teachers will start preparing you for the first test of the year. Everyone shudders at that first mention of a “unit test”, but it doesn’t have to be scary. Finding a group of friends in your class to have a study group with at Panera, Starbucks or even someone’s house can alleviate stress in the days leading up to the test. Your peers help can aid to your success in a class that you may have thought you wouldn’t. With the help of your friends, your grades can make a drastic change. A senior at SCHS, Tessa McLane, shares her study success story, “My anatomy study group turned my anticipated C to a B  on the final after just one night.” Stories like these prove that help from your peers can and will lead to your success.

High school is an exciting experience for everyone. A quick way to make friends and make the most out of these four years is to be involved in the school. One example is joining a club. The most popular clubs on campus are Cool to be Kind, Team Zissou, and Pennies for Pups, but there are many more to choose from based on your interests. Another way to be involved is to join Loud Crowd. By joining Loud Crowd, you will be involved in the school’s spirit and the sports program. There are so many opportunities to be involved in the school, so have fun and make the most of the time you have here at San Clemente High School!

1 Comment on Declassified School Survival Guide