A spirited start to homecoming season

Mia DeRouchey | Writer

October 1, 2022

Last Thursday, September 29, the San Clemente High School student body gathered in the main gym for the first annual spirit assembly of the 2022-23 school year. As a school known for its spirited student section at football games and other sporting events, spirit assemblies at San Clemente High tend to be an extension of that energy – and the fall assembly did not disappoint.

The assembly included creative games for each class to participate in, dances choreographed and performed by sports in season during the fall (girls volleyball, girls tennis, football & more), and videos from Best Buddies, No Place For Hate, and ASB (in promotion of the pink out game on Friday, October 14th). Taking place only a couple of weeks before homecoming, the fall spirit assembly is always a great way to get excited about the coming weeks.

TENNIS ANYONE? Girls tennis performing their dance at the fall spirit assembly | ASB Photography/Brooklyn Goudchaux

Freshman Georgia Stay says that her favorite dance was performed by girls tennis. “I liked how they included trending dances and used rackets as props!”

Many others who attended the spirit assembly were singing girls tennis’ praises as well, and football and cheer performed their iconic collaborative dance, which is always a hit. 

Behind the Scenes

Many people come together to coordinate assemblies like these for the student body. Davis Rail, an ASB member and DJ who runs lights and sound for the assemblies and many other school-affiliated events says that he spends anywhere from 10-15 hours preparing for spirit assemblies in the week leading up to them.

“Everyone from tech [those responsible for the production logistics during the assembly] needs to know exactly what to do,” Rail says. “If we didn’t prepare for so long then… it would be a very rough spirit assembly.” Rail programs the lights, sound, music, lasers, and any other A/V element of most spirit assemblies and football games. His work lays an important foundation for school spirit at these events. 

In the past few years, spirit assemblies have been outside in Thalassa stadium. This was continued last year post-covid for convenience purposes, but it’s safe to say that students are happy to be back inside of the main gym for assemblies.

“It just feels way more hype in the gym, everyone is squished together and cheering… it’s just a lot more fun,” senior Sam Sherreitt said. 

The next spirit assembly will be in the winter so get ready Tritons!